Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Veins... So Hot Right Now

2009 began much the same way that many other days of many other years have begun. With an ultra scrumptious protein bar. My bar of choice lately has been Zone Perfect Double Chocolate Strawberry bars. Yummmmm! My previous faves have included Balance Bar Cookie Dough, Powerbar Triple Threat Chocolate Caramel Fusion, Snickers Marathon Nutrition Honey Almond, and my super, ultimate favorite Zone Perfect Chocolate Caramel Cluster (Zone has since changed the recipe, and I now boycott this bar). But let me rewind...

Yesterday was one of the most horrifically, heinously painful days of my life. Let me assure you that I am no sissy or pain weenie, but part deux of venus ablation and sclerotherapy almost killed me. Seriously. The only thing that kept me from ripping my In Touch Weekly apart with my own hands and kicking my doctor in his family jewels was the promise of a cankle-free 2009. I will see the results for the first time tonight! Tomorrow morning I will head back to the Vein Clinic from H-E-Double hockey sticks (seriously, though, I know they did a great job despite the torture) to have my sutures removed, and I will officially be on my way to recovering.

Needless to say, I was in no mood for NYE festivities what with several maxi-pads (literally, I saw the nurse take them out of a Secret box) stuck to my incisions and the numbing medicine wearing off minute by minute. Resigned to spend a night on my adorable lime green sofa with Pupcake and LSU football (Geaux Tigers), I was delightfully surprised when BF-squared showed up at my door with a Carnitas Salad from Chipotle in hand (does he know the way to my heart, or what?). I downed my salad and chased it with a glass of Pinot Grigio and a Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade Light (yes, I know I'm hardcore, and, yes, the 15-year old cashier at Harris Teeter did make fun of me for buying it) to dull the pain. After several rounds of Wii bowling, golf and baseball, I nodded off on the couch while BF watched Tar Heel basketball. He woke me up with a kiss at midnight, and I went up to bed and fell fast asleep.

All in all it was a low-key but very sweet New Year alongside the person I most wanted to ring in 2009 with. I can't wait to see what 2009 has in store for my life. I'm off to the home of Madame President, the owner and CEO of my fabulous company who for some reason has taken a genuine interest in this pee-on (it may be due in part to the fact that I babysit her sweet and adorable daughters), to watch Joe Pa and the Nittany Lions take on the hated Trojans of USC. She is also trying to set me up with her younger brother, but I haven't told BF about that. I don't think he'd be all too pleased, and he may cut off my Chipotle supply. It should be a fun afternoon and a great way to prepare for my first day back in the office tomorrow. It's my workiversary (I can't believe it's been a year already!). Would it be out of line to send myself flowers to celebrate and remind everyone just how lucky they are to be employed with me? I don't think so either.

No comments: