Tuesday, July 14, 2009

True Story Tuesday - Bunnies & Babies

I have Lobster to thank for refreshing my memory about this little nugget. How I could have forgotten is truly beyond me.

After quitting my sorority, I spent the rest of the semester (about 2 more months) living in the house (awkward much?) with the delightful Southern Sunshine. When my stint was over, I moved into the apartment beneath Lobster's. My two new roommates were utter strangers, but were sweet and nice and all around good roommates. Several days after moving in, I returned home to an empty house to find a rabbit hippity hopping around the apartment. We lived on the bottom floor, so we were no strangers to the odd bug or somesuch making its way into our abode, but I thought the rabbit a bit odd. Hours passed until Roommate A arrived home, shrieking, "Buster! How did you get out???" Apparently Buster was her pet bunny that lived atop her dresser (and parttime roaming the apartment). A nice rabbit he certainly was, but I didn't have any extreme emotional attachment to him. We bonded quickly, though, when my roommate disappeared for several weeks leaving Buster Boy with no food, water, etc. It became my sole purpose to keep him alive. When she finally returned and found Buster safe and sound, she didn't thank me, question who had fed him or anything. Strange, I thought, but the weirdest was yet to come.

I had been there for a few months, and while we lived our lives very differently, I really had no complaints about our arrangements; however, one day I came home from the gym to find both my roommates home with a friend. All were sitting on the floor in the living room playing with a precious baby. "Polka Dots!" Roommate B cried when she saw me, "This is Trixie LaRue and her baby. They're going to be living with us for a few weeks." Ummmmmm, what??? I love babies, and I'm certainly open to letting friends visit for weekends, etc, but having a mom and tiny baby LIVE with me? Notsomuch. As it happened, though, mother and baby did stay with us... complete with bottles crowding the sink, diapers in the trashcan, crying all night and spit up on our carpet. When I kindly inquired about the living situation, Roommate B informed me matter-of-factly, "Well, she's between apartments right now. Her boyfriend is paying for her to have a personal trainer, so she can get in shape, then she'll move to Greensboro to be a stripper."
Ooooh, in that case, no problem. ?!?!?

Roaming rabbits and Striving Strippers? I just don't understand people.

9 comments:

Mrs. Buck said...

wow, what an interesting living situation! I lived with strangers for a year when I moved to London and they ended up being odd-ducks as well...but nothing quite like this! Great story, thanks for sharing!

Rachel H. said...

Wow! That is interesting! And it's so funny, but I've had some similar roommate situations. The reason that I avoided roommates like the plague after a few tries. :)

QueenBeeSwain said...

aaagggghhhhh!

kHm

Blissfully Enamored said...

i literally laughed out loud when i read that!!! how outrageous!!!!!! but hilarious too!! :)

The New Mrs said...

Hahaha! Hilarious! I have also had my fair share of 'interesting' living arrangements, but this is nuts!

Anonymous said...

um wow! what a story with that! haha.

USCEmily said...

Cracking up! This could only happen to you, I think. You have the best stories-and the best part is, they actually happened!! HI-LARIOUS!

Annie said...

LOL, unreal!!
Thanks for sharing :)

DSS said...

My jaw just hit the floor. Hysterical. You life has been so much more interesting than mine! Thanks for sharing :)