Friday, July 24, 2009

Entrepreneurial

As I mentioned last week, I'm working on a new site dedicated to my newfound love of sewing pretty things, but until I get that running, I wanted to talk more about the concept! Some of you have asked about it, so let me give you the basic idea.

1. You tell me what you want made (skirt, dress, etc)
2. I give you options (A-line skirt, pencil skirt, strapless dress, tie-neck dress, etc)
3. You tell me what type of fabric you have in mind (color, pattern, etc)
4. I send you 4 fabric options to choose from. You choose one of those, and I hit the machine, or we go back to the drawing board until we find something that is PERFECT for you.

5. I sew and send, you wear and bask in the compliments.

Pricing will be pretty easy... $40 for skirts and $50-$60 for dresses, depending on the pattern difficulty and amount of fabric used. I think the price is fair since you'll get to customize your piece, and you'll know that no one else has it! Below are pictures are some of the items I've made so far...


Ruffle-Neck Dress (this is actually a strapless dress pattern that I added the ruffle to. You can do it either way)

Pleated A-Line Skirt (with or without pockets)
Tie-Neck Dress (with or without grosgrain sash)
V-Strap Dress (mine is made from pique, which makes it sturdier and more voluminous than Little Sister's cotton one)

I'm always working on new styles, so the offerings are ever-expanding. Even though the new site isn't up yet (because I can't decide on a name), you can start ordering right NOW (yes, now). To find out more, just leave a comment on this post or email me at polkadotsandproteinbars@gmail.com.

17 comments:

The New Mrs said...

Wow, you are amazingly talented. I see a fashion design career in your future :)

Lori said...

I love the idea! I would definitely want a custom dress!

Mrs. G said...

Wow... I just realized where a chunk of my paycheck will be going to.

Mrs. G said...

I am still looking for a dress for my rehearsal dinner. I love nay LOVE!!!!!!!! the tie strap dress. It would be perfect considering we are having a formal dinner. My wedding colors are yellow, green and white.

Black Labs and Lilly said...

I would like to order a tie neck dress please!!! It would be perfect for a wedding I am going to in early September!!!!!

Lexilooo said...

oooh, I would totally love a few of those dresses! I was just saying the other day how I have so few cute, fun summery dresses, and these are adorable!

Blissfully Enamored said...

ugh!! stop making everything so stinking CUTE!! i love this idea and you have some super cute dresses!!

i bet if you made some for little girls....you would get even more business too!!!

gosh...now i have to decide the style....hmmm....

The Laney Family said...

you are precious! love your blog!

Rachel H. said...

They are awesome!! I love your dresses!!

morewineplease said...

Girl you have some amazing talent! DO you make kids clothes???????????

USCEmily said...

You've got mail!

Anonymous said...

I love it! Those are so amazing!! Great job! :)

QueenBeeSwain said...

LOVE it! LOVE. I am so down for dress number one or number two.

Maybe for the fabric if there is a website for the source(s) you use, you could link it so your clients can check it out?!

This is going to be so much fun!

idea of the month, hands down :)

happy weekend

kHm

Coyne and Pinckney Stationery said...

You are so talented! I love your designs and can't wait to see the fabric you choose!

What a fabulous idea :)

Britt said...

I have a question: how do you work with the fact that the person can't try the outfit on?

I think your stuff is adorable (so talented!) but I'm not a specific size. Do you go by measurements or what?

:-)

amy (metz) walker said...

Wow, that's great! I would have no clue how to do that so I'm loving your talent & creativity!

Heather said...

Oh, this is so neat! I will be thinking of what I want.