Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Rule #20 - Best Before...

Before topping your Lean Cuisine Quesadilla (have you had these? SCRUMPTIOUS) with a (large) dollop of Light Sour Cream and taking a bite, it is advisable to check the date on which the container expires. If it was best before December 19, 2008, don't try to pretend that it could still be decent on June 30, 2009. It won't be. It also won't really look like sour cream. Gray is not the same color as white.

After dumping the quesadilla and opting for a peanut butter sandwich instead, you may think that the sour cream incident proves that it's time to clean out the fridge. When you stumble upon a container of pineapple juice in the back of the fridge that was best before December 9, 2008 (and absolutely essential to your Christmas punch), hold your nose when you dump it in the sink. Instead of light, fruity, tangy, delicious pineapple nectar, you will discover thick, black tar in its place. Pina colada anyone?

12 comments:

Rachel H. said...

Yuck! Ha-Ha! But I think we can all relate to this! :)

d.a.r. said...

Oh gross!! I have definitely done this before. Not with sour cream and pineapple juice, but with LOTS of stuff in my fridge!

Lis said...

Oh yea... Been there quite recently with an organic smoothie in a bottle.... I can't even talk about it!! ;)

CTB said...

Gross! haha

Can't say I haven't experienced similar times though.

DSS said...

Isn't that the worst?!?! I'm always finding old sour cream in the fridge. AND...those lean cuisine quesadillas are scrumptious :)

Children of the 90s said...

That is the WORST, I'm always forgetting about something in the back of the fridge. That horrifying moment when you find it is awful. When I was in college, my roommate and I found an onion in our pantry that had sprouted some sort of tentacles--it had an uncanny resemblance to Cinderella's carriage. I don't think I've ever screamed so loud!

Black Labs and Lilly said...

Oh no!! I am the WORST at cleaning out my fridge and cabinets, this post has inspired me to check some of the experation dates when I get home.

THE Stephanie said...

LOL!! Gotta hate that!

~M~ said...

I love cleaning out the fridge! ha ha :)

Annie said...

OMG, too funny!
I clean my fridge out every week!! LOL!

Hopsy said...

I need to clean out my fridge! I never eat home, but love gorcery stores...you get the picture. Thanks for the reminder!

Jill said...

OH NO... Cucumbers are the worst.