Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Boy, Oh Boy

Last night whilst on my favorite piece of cardio equipment, I was feasting my Baby Greens on the latest issue of Glamour (my substitute for subscribing to the now-defunct Domino one week prior to its closing). One of my favorite celebrities is Taylor Swift. I really think we could be friends, and I was delighted to see her featured on the cover looking cute, classy, sassy and beautiful (squinty-ish eyes and all). Her feature was focused on all-things denim, and when I got to this look, I fell in love.


I have a lovely pair of denim bermudas from Gap that are fine, but they are close fitting to my thighs and upper knees, and while they are decently flattering, I knew in my heart I needed a pair slouchy, loose, relaxed jorts (in the lovely sense) to call my own.

Living on a shoestring budget I've learned to adapt and overcome when pursuing many objects of my desire, and this look was no exception. I decided that the best course of action would be to find a pair of relaxed-fit men's jeans, and cut, distress, roll and sew them in place to make my own Swift ensemble.

I pranced into my friendly, neighborhood Target and approached the dressing room with 8 different pairs of male jeans to try on.

When the sales woman saw what I was bringing in she said, "Those are boys' jeans."
"Yes, I know," I replied pleasantly.
"Why you tryin' dem on? They're not for girls."
"Because I want to buy some," came my cheerfully condescending reply.
"But those are for boys," came the unsurprising answer.
"Yes, I know, and they're for me too."

Unimpressed, she let me into a fitting room, and when I returned to her the seven pairs that didn't work and proudly clutched the winning pair she eyed me judgementally and rolled her eyes, probably remembering a time when women looked like ladies, and so on and so forth.

Regardless of that minor obstacle, I practically skipped to the register, where my total amounted to $6.48. I will document the transformation and hope that the mental image for the final product matches the end result.

13 comments:

Shannon Dew said...

I can't wait to see how they turn out!!

Britt said...

I love Taylor Swift! I don't think her eyes are squinty...they are just not a "rounder" shape. She's absolutely gorgeous and I love her newest music video--the one for "You Belong With Me". :-)

Glad you found some shorts that work! I'm gonna brave the jeans dilemna later today at the mall. I haven't had any new jeans in years (I literally only own one pair) and it's VERY DIFFICULT for me to find any. Don't fashion designers realize that us "skinny people" can have curves too? LOL Why do I seem to end up ranting about fashion on people's comments. Oh well!

Hope you're having a fabulous day!!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Remembering a time when women looked like ladies, hahaha! I love it. Target is the best. I love the look, I think those are some shorts I could totally handle!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Very good recessionista work! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Annie said...

I can't wait to see them!

The New Mrs said...

I love Taylor Swift, and her style. She's so unique. I am sure that outfit will look great on you! And you can't beat that price!

Blogalicious Designs said...

L-O-V-E Taylor Swift!!!! Can't wait to see what you do!!

~Steph

Rachel H. said...

Wow! That's so awesome, and I can't wait to see how they turn out! Great bargain shopping!

QueenBeeSwain said...

seriously- what is up with some peeps and how they have to share their opinion on EVERYTHING?!

kHm

Jill said...

Taylor Swift is so cute and she has great style. Way to go with the $6.48 jeans! Can't wait to see the final product.

BLC :o said...

Are you familiar with Love & Theft? They toured with Taylor Swift ... and you should remember one of the boys from high school. Small world, eh?! And ... how hip are you!? VERY! Cannot wait to see the non-boy-jeans in play. Xoxo-BLC

CTB said...

There are tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! That dressing room biddy should mind her business! I'm sure the Taylor Swift look will look fantastic on you.

DSS said...

You are so clever! Can't wait to see how they turn out:)