Friday, February 26, 2010

Cognitive Dissonance

Last night at the Harry Teet (or, Harris Teeter... the grocery store... for those not from around here), I stood behind a man whose basket was loaded with organic produce (I listened as he explained to his line neighbor the benefits of organic and locally grown fruits and veggie-tables), protein shakes, Smart Water and more health-conscious choices.

When he approached the register, and Desiree began scanning his purchases, he asked her to give him two Marlboro Light hard packs. I stood there agog with mouth agape. How can someone who clearly makes food and beverage choices that support a healthy lifestyle choose to conversely pollute their bodies in such a way? My own personal disgust of smoking aside, does this man, and many others like him, not see the contradiction in those actions? Eat clean but fill lungs with tar? I don't know, maybe someone out there and clarify this strange phenomenon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In other news, Wal Mart produce apparently is often more 'fresh' than Whole Foods, and most homosexuals believe in evolution. The world is a crazy, crazy place.

http://lifehacker.com/5480193/walmart-bests-whole-foods-in-blind-taste-tests

USCEmily said...

That is strange, and one behavior does totally contradict the other.

As for your question about wedding bells on my post- no time soon I would say, but we'll see!

THE Stephanie said...

So silly. People are so strange sometimes...

Barefoot in the Park said...

argh. i feel the same way! i actually had that convo with my fiancee's mom as she spent a multitude of money on organic food one day then topped it off with way to many cigs & way too much cheap wine. FAIL.

Ams said...

My whole "I hate smoking" thoughts NOT aside - NASTY. I am sorry - I can't understand smoking. I have smoking friends and it just grosses me right out. And to go on and on preaching about the benefits of organics and then in the same sentence ask for a pack of cigarettes.

I have that very same look on my face that you have right now!! I DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Enough out of me for today.

On a side note, I hope you have a great weekend my friend :) xo

QueenBeeSwain said...

so so so so sick.

kHm

MrsMc_B said...

Strange! Some people just don't get it.

BTW, I left something for you over at my blog. Check it out

katie lake said...

I dealt with that a lot in San Fran. If you buy "standard" or "other" (yes they write that on signs for the "non organic" fruits and veggies) they look at you funny then walk outside and light up. Or jump in their SUV or throw down the wrapping for their candy bar (this is annoying when the people claim they are against using chemical bug repellants bc they pollute the soil). I just get annoyed with people that preach about it then who choose certain options only when it is convienent to them.