Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Highest Appeal

This Sunday Pastor Furtick taught us that prayer should not be thought of as a last resort ("All we can do now is pray") but recognized as our highest appeal. How appropriate to hear this week, as right now, I am appealing with my whole heart.

As many of you know, my Papa passed away in October. On Christmas day, his wife, my sweet and sassy Mimi, had a severe stroke and has been struggling ever since. In the meantime, one of their three daughters has been battling non-smoking lung cancer and was placed on the transplant list. We received word tonight that she is on her way to the Dallas hospital for a transplant. At the same time, Mimi will be undergoing surgery to insert a pacemaker first thing in the morning.

Add to the stress, worry and emotions that my other grandfather, my Papaw, has been warring against incredibly aggressive melanoma that has spread to his lungs, blood and other areas of his body. His prognosis has been grim as melanoma is an extremely difficult cancer to fight, but he has been an absolute hero through this ordeal and is currently in Bethesda, MD hoping to be admitted to a clinical trial at the National Cancer Institute.

I have been so blessed with an incredible family, and we're all under stress and heartache at the moment coping with each of these situations. What a comfort to know that my God is moving and active and answering my prayer even when I'm not aware of it.

7 comments:

M.A. said...

Oh my goodness. Definitely praying for you and your family. xoxo.

Anonymous said...

Your family will be in my prayers.

Elle said...

You have a lot on your plate lately... I am so sorry to hear about all the illness your family is struggling with... Thankfully no situation is too trying, or too big for our Savior to still be glorified in it....

I didn't know you went to Pastor Furtrick's church, by complete coincidence I found his blog earlier this fall and have been browsing it ever since.....

USCEmily said...

Wow, what a lot to be dealing with simultaneously! Just remember that God is good- all the time and keep praying like you have been!
I'll keep you in my prayers too!!

DSS said...

My heavens. You really have been a lot weighing on your heart and mind right now don't you?

Please know that we are all sending prayers your way...for you and for your family. I say prayers throughout the day to ask for help, and to thank HIM for all of my blessings. I say them constantly. It's so comforting to know that there is always someone so powerful and loving just a thought away:)

What a gift that a matching lung was found, and that pacemakers exist! I know you and your famiy have a strong faith, and it sounds as if that is giving you all strength right now.

The Mrs. said...

That is a lot on your plate. Praying for you!

Haven and Home said...

What a great sentiment, pray should be first, not a last resort. I will definitely be praying for your family, I am sorry things are so stressful, you are lucky to have great family though.