Friday, July 17, 2009

Thrills and Frills

I was lucky enough to receive free tickets to Carowinds (our local amusement park... questionable clientele, a poor man's Six Flags, but loads of fun) through work, so I took the day off, and Boyfriend and I headed to the park for a day of sun, rides and good times. It did not disappoint. I rode every 'coaster, spinner, scrambler, whirler I could find. BF isn't quite the ride enthusiast that I am, but he was a champ and powered through. After a laugh-filled 4 hours, we ventured home and crashed for close to 2 hours. When we awoke it was time to get re-beautified for our reservations at Chima Brazilian Steakhouse. Twice a year Charlotte hosts Restaurant Week, in which nice restaurants offer a customized menu for a fixed price of $30 per person. This is an awesome way to get to try new eateries in the area without blowing a budget. I finished my new skirt just in time for our evening date, and we were out the door to stuff ourselves silly. If you've never been to a Brazilian steakhouse, I highly recommend Chima. The food is out of this world delicious, and we certainly ate our $30 worth. We rolled ourselves home and rested before the boy departed to his neck of the woods, and I urged my stomach to digest quickly. It was truly the most perfect day off.

On to other matters at hand. Sewing has really become a hobby that I find fills a creative void for me (ditto for this bloggity blog), and I seem to possess some amounts of skill for it. I made my first skirt to-order and presented it to my super model coworker and friend (don't you love when you love the people you work with), who sported it to work today. Of course, girlfriend would make a trash bag hot, but I have to say, it looked ADORABLE on her. Recognize the fabric? :-)

I made myself the same skirt in a different fabric, and I'm pretty pleased with the result. This is what I wore for Date Night tonight.

I also finished my Taylor Swift shorts and wore them to Carowinds today paired with my new favorite t-shirt - a J. Crew, natch.
I'm fiddling around with the idea of launching a second site dedicated strictly to my stitched creations and making them available by custom order to all of you (and anyone you know who may be interested in cute, affordable clothing). What do you think of that idea? Also, what type of name would attract you to a site of that nature or clothing line?
A. Something direct letting you know what you're getting, along the lines of Polka Dotted Dresses
B. Something more abstract but still informative, such as Hems and Hers
C. Something totally different and abstract... Oh, Hello There or A Beautiful Buttercup, etc.
Clearly, these are all rough examples, but your input would at least get me started in the right direction, and, of course, be much appreciated.

Happy weekend!

9 comments:

Magda said...

I like B! Hems and Hers is adorable!!

Kristen said...

I always like totally different and abstract, it stands out :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes!! Please do!! I like Hems and Hers!!!

QueenBeeSwain said...

you two totally had a great day, thank you for sharing with us! I also am in full-support of your second sewing site- will start brain-storming on a good name....

happy weekend, ps your skirts are stunning!

kHm

Jill said...

You are so talented. Where did you learn to sew and when? I've tried and I get frustrated with myself. :) I like the abstract but still informative blog titles.

Rachel H. said...

I like B too! So cute!! And the skirts are both too cute! Love them both!

DSS said...

Hems and Hers is my vote. LOVE the idea of another blog. You have mad sewing skills...such cute skirts :)

Blogalicious Designs said...

Love you stuff!! So cute! And Hems and Hers is such a cute name!! :)

~Steph

Legallyblondemel said...

Wow - you're talented! All of that is amazing, but I particularly like the pattern & cut on the one you made your co-worker.

I think the "Hems & Hers" name is both cute & informative - I say go for it.